How To Get Out of a Blogging Rut

September 08, 2014

Having lack of inspiration when blogging is totally normal and has happened to probably all of us at some stage, but I always find it really hard to get back into the swing of things after. More so recently when I feel a blogging rut is coming on, I always do the same few things to get myself inspired and in the mood for blogging again, so I thought i'd share with you guys.
I went through a really bad phase of blogging rut in April of last year after being on placement in London, I was still putting out posts but I there was no motivation behind those posts and I was only putting them out to keep the blog somewhat updated, and to keep my stats up. I just wasn't happy with my blog and I just felt that it wasn't going anywhere, but I got past that thankfully and I have since learnt how to bypass a blogging rut with a few simple things.

  • Take a step back - Sounds pretty simple, but often hard to do. If i'm feeling uninspired or lacking in motivation I take a couple of days break away from the blog and just have a little me time. I often find that sometimes I sacrifice spending time with people or passing up opportunities because I know I need to get content out or if I am spending time with people I constantly worry making me not enjoy my day, but i've learnt that a few days won't hurt anyone, my readers will still be here at the end of it.
  • Don't get caught up in the numbers - Another obvious and constantly repeated tip, but it can be hard when you feel as if your blog isn't growing and you sometimes feel like you want to give up, but it takes time it really does. When i'm in a rut I always find myself checking my blog stats, which i've found it the worst thing to do as it makes me more annoyed at myself for not putting out content, thus making the rut even worse. So i've learnt to just steer clear of them and not worry about the page views. 
  • Read your favourite blogs for inspiration - A blogging rut is usually started of my a lack of inspiration, where you just can't come up with any good ideas. I always find just sitting down and reading through some of my favourite blogs helps to spur some post ideas and i'll then change them or tweak them to make them more my own style. Bloglovin' is also great as you can gain lots of ideas/inspo through your feed or through the popular posts section. 
  • Don't feel the need to apologise - When i've had a few days break, I always feel like I owe my readers an apology but it hindsight I really don't. At the end of the day it's your blog, your hobby and you can do with it what you please, your readers are there because they like your content and won't be upset or disappointed that you haven't blogged for a few days. I sometimes just explain as to why I haven't blogged if I feel the need, but nowadays I just go on like normal.

So those are the few things that I do in order to shake a blogging rut, or if i'm feeling uninspired in general.

What do you do when feeling uninspired?


You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. This is brilliant post, I myself feel a blogging rut has been the past month... Super uninspired.. Great tips, I too find myself checking my stats every 10 minutes.. "How many views?" .. *5 mins later* "How many views now?" It's more time consuming than anything. Hopefully once the weather picks up a bit, some inspiration will flow like sunbeams. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find reading my favourite blogs one of the most helpful things in getting out of a rut. It definitely inspires you.

    nueyork.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing tips!

    Kate xo // www.beautybabbles.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for those tips! I have been in this rut for a couple of months now and I will try to work on it with these steps! xx

    Alexandra | The A Style | Beauty and lifestyle

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for all of your lovely comments. I do read every single one and I appreciate all of the amazing feedback from you lovely people! I will try to reply, but you can also tweet me @stylesplurging for a quicker response :) x

© Style & Splurging 2017.